So, while other people go away to Mexico, or Hawaii for a winter break, we (we=Marns, Lester, Marn's folks and Sean and me) instead go to La Ronge, SK for a week of snow mobiling, ice fishing and beer-drinking. (well, and a little bit of wine drinking, but we won't discuss that!)
We left late Sunday night and drove straight through to La Ronge (with a 45 minute nap break on the side of the road outside of Kindersley and a breakfast break in Saskatoon). We arrived Monday at noon, and caught up with Marns and et al at about 2pm.
Marn's parents have a pretty neat, rustic cabin that really complements the idea of "roughing it" (no running water in the winter time) with a mixture of "princess camping" (central heating was provided by a huge wood stove, satellite TV and a fully functional kitchen)
We spent Monday toodling around in the dark on snow mobiles. Marns' skidoo landed in a huge drift of snow, which made her Mom tumult off of the back of the skidoo. Sean's snow mobile landed several times in soft snow as well. We learnt quickly that digging a skidoo out of the snow can be hard work and that it doesn't take long to work up a sweat!
Tuesday was spent snow mobiling and ice fishing. We didn't catch any fish, but I was able to get my cheeks frost bitten (hence I earned the squaw name of "frozen cheek"). Tuesday was a bitter, cold day. It was about -20 celsius outside, but the wind really howled around us on the frozen lake ... I am not sure how cold it was with the wind chill, but I have to assume it was frickin' freezin' outside, as my face was only exposed for maybe 5 minutes, and by the time we got to the cabin, my cheeks were white . . .
Wednesday, Sean, Marns and Marns' dad went snow mobiling and ice fishing, while the rest of us gals lazed around the cabin. I finished reading Alice Hoffman's book, Ice Queen, which I had borrowed from Quodlibet. We watched a few movies and did absolutely nothing in particular. That day, while we were in the warmth of the cabin, Sean caught 2 pike and Marn's caught 3 pike. We had quite the fish feast that night!
Thursday, after toodling around on the snow mobiles again, we headed out in the early afternoon to Saskatoon. We slept overnight at Marn's parents place. On Friday, we ended up driving back home in the midst of a snow storm. We were home around 4:30 PM.
Photos from our trip can be found on Marn's site, or on our flickr site.
Ok, I started this post at 12:30, and now it is almost 13:30 - I guess the "interruption" called work is getting in the way of my blogging time . . .
Toodles!
CG
Monday, 26 February 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Cool pics! Looks like a good time. But were the towels matching in the bathroom? I just simply cannot go anywhere that does not have matching towels, that is SO "roughing it" as you like to say.
we actually had to supply our own towels. I almost threw a princess hissy fit, but then Sean calmed me down...
Whew, close call, thank goodness Sean was there to calm you! Sounds like it was fun, wonder if any cabins up here have sat tv?
ah, yes, good ol' Sean who has to put up with my princess cattiness! When are you coming back down to cowtown? I think we owe Rob & J supper!!
Frozen Cheek! You survived! Did you see where I almost died on HWY 969? There must be some monument up by now.
Sounds fun.
hey, nance
next time give me sum notice...
to put some pants on.. thx.
out of all the people.. u could
of pic marns legs. mann.. ur baddddd... yeah, the trip was awesome.. esp. the company and poor shyanne. poor thing.. being left out on the porch.. no voice and all.
lester
jetboy: there was no monumnet, but when we drove by, we did a moment of silence out of respect for you...
Sorry, Lester for the pics on flickr - hope you don't mind...don't worry about your bird legs...
next time I will post pics of my loaf!
Post a Comment